mánudagur, október 01, 2007

Strength to change Britain

When I was in Brazil I was never interested in national politics, just international relations; but once I moved to England I was completely dragged into this world of House of Commons (and Lords) by Mr. Blair and his troupe.
Internships, membership and about one year later I was shaking hands with Gordon Brown.

I don't know about party conferences on other countries (or parties) but at the Labour Party Conference there was room for everything.

Uncountable fringes about all range of subjects. Free wine, beer and nice food (with every pack including speeches of famous Labour politicians and music - live or mechanical).

After 1 or 2 hours queuing for the Leader's speech you start to understand the feeling of those who really believe in the people and values (and changes made and about to come!) behind the whole circus.

It doesn't matter if you are at a media reception eating oyster with others (happened!) or leafleting for your organisation and receiving a bad look (also happened!!); it is about being Labour and believing you have a political role to play, no matter in which level.

And if the Prime Minister is not as tall as he seems, maybe you exchanged a smile with the next PM to be... who knows...

I learnt about egos and about keeping my mouth shut. There was also the moment for having fun and being myself (and people appreciated that).

I am sure the Labour has the strength to change Britain. It seduced me through HIS rhetoric and now (and forever) I will carry this mark with me.

I will need this same strength to change and achieve everything I decided to, but for now, instead of doing as Gordon Brown and stand up for Britain, I will first have to stand up for myself.

1 Ummæli:

Blogger Thomaz Napoleão sagði...

I wish I still had the inner moral strength to believe in party politics. But being increasingly a Russian at heart, it's hard not to feel a bit hostile towards the government which provided asylum to the mafioso Berezovsky, the renegade spy Litvinenko and Zakaev of Chechnya! Vou posicionar meus peões para invadir o UK na primeira rodada quando for jogar War :)

If I were at Bournemouth I'd have looked for Tony Benn! Was he there? That would have been a perfect grandpa.

And Mari, DO seize the opportunity to send me your new address too, there's something in the making!

mánudagur, október 08, 2007 8:34:00 f.h.  

Skrifa ummæli

Gerast áskrifandi að Birta ummæli [Atom]

<< Heim